Lorry & Van Operator Licence Fees
|Application fee and administrative charges|
|*Application Fee for a Licence (GV79) or for a Major (Publishable) Variation (GV81)||£257.00|
|**Fee Payable for the Issue of a Licence||£401.00|
|***Charge for the Continuation of an Existing Licence||£401.00|
|Fee payable for the issue of an interim licence or direction||£68|
**This is non-refundable and payable in full after an application for a licence has been granted. Its cover lasts for 5 years.
***This is non-refundable and payable in full every 5 years, the first payment becoming due in the month leading up to the 5th anniversary of the issue of the licence.
Vehicle fees are charged for each vehicle specified by registration mark on a licence. When an application for a new licence is first granted, or before a licence is continued, the operator can choose to pay the vehicle fees either 5 years in advance, or on an annual basis.
Vehicle fees are payable after the grant of an application for a licence or variation of a licence, or at the same time as the continuation fee. Yearly payments are due each year on the anniversary of the end of the month preceding the month in which the licence was issued.
• 5 YEARLY PAYMENT (which is refundable in certain circumstances.)
• For any extra vehicles added (during the 5 year period) above those already
per vehicle (for 5 years)
per vehicle per quarter year
• YEARLY PAYMENT (which is non-refundable. Fees for following years
will be calculated at the rate in force when payment is due.)
• For any extra vehicle added above those already paid for.
per vehicle (for 1 year)
per vehicle per quarter year
|Fees for Interim Licences or Directions|
• For issue of an interim licence or direction.
• For each vehicle specified on an interim licence or direction.
|Both are non-refundable and payable after the decision to grant an interim licence or direction. There is no charge for interims linked to publishable variations which seek only to upgrade a licence eg from restricted to standard national.|
Cheques should be made payable to "VOSA" and sent to the Central Licensing Unit in
Refunds of vehicle fees
No refunds are payable to yearly fee payers.
No refunds are payable in connection with interim licences or directions.
Refunds are payable when a licence is surrendered, revoked or otherwise terminated. They are also payable when a licence is curtailed or suspended, for relevant periods and numbers of vehicles, or when an operator voluntarily reduces the total authorisation of a licence in association with a reduction of specified vehicles.
Refunds are payable only for full years either of suspension etc or remaining periods of a fee period.
Operators claiming refunds for non-disciplinary reasons during the life of a licence must meet certain criteria i.e.
• a written application for refund must be made
• an application to reduce (GV81) total vehicle numbers must be made and granted, and
• the number of specified vehicles (or credits) on licence must be reduced by 10 or more, or by at least 20% and the authorised number by at least the same amount.
For further advice contact the Central Licensing Unit in